Tuesday, February 16, 2016

New adventure-Crane Creek Video Blog

"I am not an adventurer by choice, but by fate"
                                            -Vincent VanGogh


Picture, if you will, a spring creek nestled in a hardwood bottom. In that creek, swims what is ( arguably) said to be a genetically pure McCloud rainbow trout (salmo Shasta). Skittish, strong and self-sustaining.

Now, picture it in the Missouri Ozarks...

My goal with this video blog is to educate, entertain, and leave a record of my adventures on the Creek for my kids and anyone else interested in this jewel. I'll try to post something each week, and at the end of the season, do a "changing seasons" type montage.

I've struggled with posting about this creek. It's fragile, and won't take a lot if abuse. You wont see any posts of me fishing it in the summer ( between late May and September). The reasons for that will become self-evident; it's a Spring fed creek, the water warms in the summer, the fish become stressed, so no need to add to that stress. Crane, in the summer, is a "losing stream", meaning parts of it disappear underground. This causes the fish to stack up in pools, so again, no need to stress them any further. I will, however, be checking on Crane weekly, and will share that video in my blog.

There has been some national attention focused on this creek ( a well known "pro" fished it for a national outdoor show, and a few articles have appeared in the trade rags), so I balanced my need to share it, with the publicity it has already received, and came to this conclusion:
I rarely see other people fishing it, and I am there twice a week, so evidently the "national" exposure it received had minimal impact. My blog is anything but "national" so the impact should be in proportion to my reach...

I hope you enjoy this journey. My editing skills keep improving with each try, so at some point they will be at least mediocre...

Tight Lines..




No comments:

Post a Comment