Wednesday, February 10, 2016

My next evolutionary stage...

"What most persons consider as virtue, after the age of 40 is simply a loss of energy."

-Voltaire

There I was; standing in The Orvis Store in Madison, Wisconsin ( go here, talk to Bill, he's a peach and a great source of info for Wisconsin Flyfishing) discussing the "good old days" and it hit me: If I don't qualify for Old Fart status yet, I'm damn close.

Old Fart (adjective)-The process of becoming or attaining "crusty" status, all the while being unaware of said status and furthermore denying said status all-the-while complaining about how " things were better in the old days".

(noun)-a person who has surpassed "crusty" status. 

Gierach believes becoming an Old Fart "to be the secret, lifelong ambition of every serious fisherman". ( as quoted in The View from Rat Lake)
I'm not sure I agree, but while I was explaining the finer points of Sawyers Pheasant Tail,  I overheard the following conversation (and I may be paraphrasing):

Young Flyshop dude (YFD, for short): "Sup Bruh, how can I help you?"
Younger Flyshop Patron (YFP): "nuttin, Bruh, tying some streamers, need some flashy goodness."
YFD:"Sweeeeet! Articulated chewy goodness or standard nomnoms?"
YFP: " Oh man, Articulated chewiness for sure, I found some heavy eaters on the creek, gotta tag 'em before they disperse. Buttery goodness in quantity!"
YFD: "Right on! I've got some serious sparkle on the wall, heavy on the flash. You need Jimmy Knutsons Super Sparkle Goodness, what color?"
YFP: "Coolness, somethin' way bright, these fish were deep in Browntown."

Translation:
Can I help you?
I'm tying streamers for some schooled browns, they're deep so I need something they can see. I'd like to tie them articulated to increase the profile.
How about this Silver Krystal Flash, it's bright.
Perfect.

When did I start needing a translator to understand a conversation in a flyshop? When did I lose touch with my chosen passions vernacular? When did I get all this hair in my ears? When, wait?...

Crusty. It's the next stage in my evolution. Old Fart, here I come!

Browntown


Articulated goodness.









No comments:

Post a Comment